Madron Celtic Chapel, near Penzance, Cornwall

The ruined walls of Madron Celtic Chapel, near Penzance in Cornwall. This sacred site, also known as Madron Baptistry, has been dated to the 14th century, but is likely to have even earlier foundations as it is believed a wooden structure stood here since the 3rd Century AD. The building measures only 7 x 5 metres and it is not known if the current granite walls are at their full height. No roof survives so was probably of wood and thatch. Spring water, from the nearby Madron Holy Well is fed into a stone font in the south-western corner. A low altar stone and stone seats line the walls. The site is a beautiful and serene one, it is off the beaten track and so always calm and peaceful.

Prints

High quality prints of this image are available in a range of sizes. Please see Print Information for further details, or click on the button below to view the print options for this image.

Stock

This image is available for license as stock photography. Please see Stock Information for further details, or click on the button below to view the stock options for this image.

Image Info

Camera Model:Canon EOS 20D
Date Created:Jun 16, 2009
Shutter Speed:1/500 sec
Aperture:f/6.3
Focal Length:17 mm

Location: Madron

County: Cornwall

Country: England

Views: 1745

© Copyright Martin Eager 2009-2016